Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Nana’s A Level Prelims


It is now Nana’s turn to get back her results. 

Nana takes 3 H2 subjects - Maths, Physics and Geography and 2 H1 subjects - GP and Economics. She has cleared her H1 Chinese in the beginning of the year with a B and had happily dropped it. She has also passed her Project Work, which is a prerequisite for Uni. For entry to university, she would only need her 3 H2 subjects and GP.  If she does well enough for Chinese and/ or Econs, these can be used to pull up her overall score. Otherwise, she can discard them totally. Nana has already decided that it is the latter and has placed minimum effort on Econs. Oh boy, Econs used to be my favorite subject. 

Nana was very worried about her prelim results bcos she felt that she did badly despite mugging really hard. It is ok, A level really makes everybody doubt their self worth. I remember doing badly for prelims too and got all confused if I was studying the right thing before the actual A levels. I survived and so would Nana. She is so capable academically but always think so little of herself. 

Finally, the prelims results are back. I think the results are better than she had expected. She got a D for GP bcos she wrote out of point for the essay and said that many of her friends got D too. At least she now know what constitutes writing out of point. For the other 3 H2s, she has obtained Bs. She said that they are mostly borderline Bs. 

It is ok, there is still time for the final dash. I googled and ACJC, like many JCs, tend to set papers harder than A levels. I thought her prelim results are already quite decent. 

Nana is indeed making the last bit worth and studying every hard. A levels will start in November. Meanwhile, Zaky starts his O levels today with a Chemistry practical. He said that it was ok and that there was a chemical that he couldn’t make out the composition. He peeked at the boy’s beside him, decided to write down the same compound and turned out to be correct. Ya, he peeked! 

I had the chance to send Nana to school on the day that we attended Zaky’s graduation ceremony. 

This is my cue to tell the kids how it was when I had to walk the serene path from the MRT to ACJC 30 years ago - the unsheltered pathway and without the commercial buildings that have now replaced the grass patches and trees. I used to count the number of Mercedes that stopped outside of the school gate to drop the wealthy kids. Do I miss my JC days? No.. JC life is indeed too hard. 

Mummy Lim


No comments: