Monday, September 28, 2026

SimplyRetro x 2


This has become our regular Saturday hangout.

I only have the aunties as my regular friend groups. Relationship takes too much time to maintain and I am introverted with people that I aren’t familiar with. It just takes too much time and energy. While there are other friends/ ex-colleagues that I meet up once in a blue moon, the aunties are really the only ones that I make a lot of efforts. The monthly gathering aside, we meet up in smaller groups every now and then. Maybe a lunch during work week, a random dinner, an ad hoc weekend meet up, and recently, the SimplyRetro. 

These are not only my normal kakis but my party kakis when I was growing up, from Ridley, to Mdm Wong, SOS, China Jump, Double O, St James… ya, we grew up during the retro songs era, coupled with the Barbie girl and butterfly. Hohoho. Not all of them are party people though and it was partying with different sub groups at different points.

It had been so many years and we never really stopped partying. Actually it was just Auntie SL, S and I. However, as we get older, a good dancing place is hard to come by. Most of the time, we feel so old standing beside a 20 something. Never mind that the 20 something can’t dance and just wanted to get wasted. We can now afford the booze but just didn’t want to feel and look old. The last frequent (like once in few months) hangout was Mambo at Zouk, until they crowded the place with young kids, giving free entry to students. Ya, that young. Zzzzzz. 

Then we found SimplyRetro and a big group of like-minded middle age people who simply wanted to dance and have fun. We have visited it so frequently, that we made “friends”, familiar faces that we hi/ bye and dance with but don’t even know their names, even exchanging friendly hugs. Then the endless gossips/ small talks in our group chat after the night of partying. Auntie R has now joined the dancing club. Hoho.

I went to SimplyRetro with the dancing aunties earlier in September. 




Auntie SL and R left slightly earlier while Auntie S and I stayed until the lights were turned on. 

I almost went deaf. My eardrums hurt and I think I would get NID soon with all the loud music from the gym classes and SimplyRetro. So I got myself this. So atas and pretty!





Last Saturday, it was with Auntie SR and H and partners. Auntie SR belongs to the dancing aunties group but up to today, we have yet to find a slot that fits into her busy schedule. 

After all the drinking experience, I figured out that we might actually saved more $$ if we buy a bottle. Oh gosh, the last time I did that with friends, I was in my 20s! 

It was the 1st time that we celebrated birthday at SimplyRetro. Happy birthday Auntie H! 





 
I met many familiar but duno names people. They were like “where are your (real) friends?”. Another day, another day. I had a good time like always. Hoho. Auntie SR and Uncle B danced the whole night too. Uncle B is an energetic bunny. Auntie H and C fomo and joined in the fun at some point. Daddy Lim guarded the table the whole night. I think he was bored and I can now go SimplyRetro with the aunties and without him. Haha. 

The loop earplugs worked fine. It was still loud but not deafening. Auntie H and Uncle C left slightly earlier. They managed to catch the last bus. The rest of us left a little before closing. 

The next one, if I managed to book, would be with the dancing aunties. It is so difficult to book an indoor table now. The slots open up 28 days before and I am not keeping track. We still have a quarter of a bottle left that needs to be consumed within a month. Ya, only Daddy Lim and Uncle B drank a lot more. The rest of us are very conscious of our kidneys. Lol. 

Mummy Lim

No comments: