Zaky’s era is still that of 2 chances to take Chinese O level. His paper 1 and 2 were in June while Listening and Oral were in July. Did we work hard? Of course and we started earlier than in Nana’s time.
Zaky is weird. He can read many of the Chinese words and I would assume that he knows them, only to realise that he could read them but didn’t understand them. Zzzzz. His short term memory is horrible too. Like Nana, he also memorised the 词语 from his sec 2 to 4 手册 but the 词语 doesn’t stick long in his head. What surprised me was his willingness to do the TYS paper without the needing me to breath down his neck. When attempting paper 1, Nana would go for the storyline question while he attempts the argumentative type.
After doing numerous papers and with his tutor’s help, he sort of make better sense of the comprehension. Even his tutor commented that he had improved. However, the 1st 2 parts of the paper 2 are his nemesis and he could barely get a few questions correct.
I think that his chances lies in how well he could do in his oral. Did we practice hard? Not really. The material from his school wasn’t a lot, compared with the almost 200 pages notes that Nana had from NH in her year. We tried but almost everyday, he was tired. Zzzzzz.
After his oral, he texted us that he probably screwed up bcos he couldn’t understand what is “xin fu” is in one of the final questions and he simply babbled. I knew that his A2 had flew away. Ya, he doesn’t know 幸福. Zzzzzz.
Zaky is a Maths and Science student, which is why he is in SST. Did I have the same hope in him as Nana in Chinese? Not exactly, but I can still hope, right?
The result was released this afternoon. Zaky got a B3, which is what I had predicted, but I was also holding on to the tiny hope of his kissing an A2. Zaky was very happy, bcos he needed a B3 before SST would allow him to drop Chinese. He is totally dropping Chinese. If it had been Nana, I would struggle with whether she should retake Chinese. With Zaky, I didn’t bother. The journey to make him retake and re-study Chinese is too hard and painful. I shall save myself some heartache. I also think that he would do well enough in his Maths and Sciences, such that he wouldn’t need his Chinese grades in his L1R4/5 score.
I am still hoping that if he do well enough in O levels, he might change his mind to want to go JC. At some point in the recent months, he did consider. He signed up for SAJC and ASRJC basketball DSA and was called up for trial. The night before SAJC trial, he told me he still decided on Poly. Zzzzz. He did attend the SAJC trial but sprained his ankle again 10 mins into the trial and didn’t play. He said that it was God’s will. He totally skipped the ASRJC trial. My heart…
It is now the prelims. I remembered Nana had studied very hard for prelims and went for the school’s night study. Zaky simply said that he didn’t sign up and he didn’t like studying in the night. I don’t know anymore.
Mummy Lim
No comments:
Post a Comment