About a few weeks back, there were announcements in the portal that Lil Shauna’s teacher used to communicate with the parents, about upcoming tests. Lil Shauna recorded the dates and test items in her school diary too. Additionally, the kids also lugged back the various workbooks to “study” for the tests. Errr… I thought no exams until P3? Auntie S reminded me that though no exams, there are still tests. Chey…
I didn't revise with Lil Shauna. I don't know what to. Moreover, she has been independent in doing her school homework. Most of the time, I see that she had already learned those in her enrichment classes. I was comforted when she said that she could do most of the tests. Then her test papers came back and she did well for her English and surprisingly Chinese. There were a few careless mistakes in her Maths paper, though she did fairly well for Maths too. She also palm-face over those careless mistakes. Too funny. At the back of my mind, I was wondering if everyone did as well as her. I remembered an ex-colleague told me that his girls scored over 80 marks for all subjects but ended up in the bottom 25 percentile in their cohort and it was too a neighborhood school.
Lil Shauna brought back her report book yday for parent’s acknowledgement. When put in perspective, she indeed did well as compared to her peers. The report card provided the mean scores of her class and standard. She is above average. I was really proud of her and it highlighted one thing – our investments in building her foundation paid off. We are finally seeing results.
This morning, I was sharing with Daddy Lim that in the watsapp chat that I shared with 6 other classmates’ mummies, 2 of them commented that their kid didn't do well overall. The other 2 mentioned about not doing too well in Maths specifically. One of them is usually silent. I kept quiet too. Daddy Lim and I both agreed that Lil Shauna had a good start. Most of her peers had just started getting used to the P1 syllabus and are learning what she had learnt. However, that competitive advantage would likely diminish as the other kids get more familiar with primary school life and start catching up.
Then, Daddy Lim reminded me that it is not Lil Shauna that we should be worry about but wait till we received Lil Isaac’s report book! That is also why I am skipping the Parent-Teacher Meeting for Lil Shauna and heading for Lil Isaac’s one this term. Hohoho.
By the way, I borrowed 2 of Roald Dahl’s thin paperback books for Lil Shauna from the library last weekend – The Enormous Crocodile and Esio Trot. I wasn't sure if Lil Shauna was ready for his books bcos I read his books only when I was much older. To my surprise, she loves them and understood the stories. I think we can start venturing into Roald Dahl’s books. Before I return the 2 books, I think I should also read them. Hehe.
Mummy Lim
No comments:
Post a Comment