Usually, I would be busy with researching and booking and planning the route from point to point. This round, the burden is shared and we do our part proactively. We didn’t even need to split the work - whoever has time would do whatever there is. I was keen to do the HKG trip bcos I got to know that Shenzhen now has the world’s biggest indoor ski and snowboard resort. I told Auntie TL that she can decide on any itinerary, my only request is to do snowboarding. I can even do it myself and meet her thereafter. I would be even happier if I can do 2 days of snowboarding!
My original thoughts for HKG would include a hike, cycling and some neighbourhood/ island exploring but I wondered if these are doable in summer. It would be very hot and likely very wet. After much research, Auntie TL decided that she would join me in the snow resort; she and QQ would take skiing class, in prep of their year end winter trip. I got companions! We also totally switched our plan to do only Shenzhen as we have both done HKG many times in the past.
Packing commenced over the weekend. There would be a fair bit of traveling and hotel change, thus we are traveling light. Packing has to start early bcos I was in Jakarta for work trip on Monday, back on Wednesday late night, work Thursday morning and jet off on Thursday afternoon again. Woohoo! I barely got to see Daddy Lim and the kids the entire week.
Bcos we were doing Shenzhen, it was good that we both did the planning bcos it is not easy to find information about China in Google and most stuff are in Chinese. It is very tiring to read so many Chinese words and trying to find addresses in Chinese is nightmare. We ended up finding videos for information on Tik Tok and Red Note bcos I lazy. I am also so appreciative of the power of AI. We simply copy and paste the drafted itinerary, then AI told us that the logistics was crap and suggested adjustments. We refined the plan until AI agreed that it would work.
My morning started with saying “hi” to the kids before I miss them again for the next 4 days. They went to school and I rushed in a Bodycombat class, packing in a workout before the start of a trip that would probably involved a lot of eating. We should burn some calories 1st and also not eat so much if we can. Zzzzzz. I try.
We arranged to meet at 2pm. The flight was supposed to be taking off from T4. I was so hungry. We met for lunch and cleared immigration. All smooth and easy. Yup, we packed light. HKG, here we come! Or so we thought.
It was a turnaround flight and there was a slight delay. We boarded soon after and were comfortably seated. Before long, the plane started moving and I was thinking to myself that the stewardess were very effective.
But, the plane didn’t take off. An announcement came that the plane had to turn back bcos of some technical issues and the technicians had to check them out.
We sat in the plane for 3 hours! After each hour, we would be informed that the technicians were still trying to figure out the problem. After 2 hours, they distributed snacks. I was hungry but would have preferred to be in the air than this fee snack pack.
At the end of the 3rd hour, the Captain said that the problem cannot be resolved and we had to disembark the plane. The staff at the counter would help us after we get off the plane.
What greeted us at the counter was what we saw in movies. There were long Qs and people were crowding the tiny counter. Very little information was passed out. It was chaotic. I stood around to eavesdrop and knew that the next flight at 8.05pm was full. The business class and Diamond Club passengers were served 1st. The remaining commoners simply had to Q and wait.
It was a long wait. While waiting, we were trying to figure out if the travel insurance would cover. It wouldn’t, bcos the cancellation was due to the flight mechanical fault. We should claim from the airline instead. What we could claim from insurance is flight delay.
When we were finally near to the end of the line, we received a SMS to inform that we are booked on the 7.20am flight tomorrow. Instead of heading home, we asked for a night’s stay at the hotel. We got the ask, as well as free taxi to the hotel.
Here we were, walking dejectedly to exit immigration.
Our flight is at 7.20am and we would leave at 5am. Fingers crossed that everything would be ok tomorrow.
Mummy Lim








No comments:
Post a Comment